Monday, April 30, 2012

Monkey Monday: Forbidden Lilacs

Lilacs by Ayala Moriel
Lilacs, a photo by Ayala Moriel on Flickr.

As I was strolling leisurely down Bute street towards Sunset Beach last night, I noticed that one of the lilac bushes was beginning to bloom. The buds haven't opened yet, but I could not suppress my curiousity and had to sniff them out and see if their scent has began to develop.
Before I could even figure what came first - the flower or the fragrance, I heard a woman yelling from a balcony in that building. I assured my daughter that surely this woman must be yelling at some dog that's ruining her patio garden; but she made it very clear that she was mad at me for "picking the flowers". I doubt that this bush even technically belongs to her, being one of the many trees and plants along the sidewalk (Vancouver does amazing job with gardening everywhere); but nevertheless I told her I was only smelling them. Which seemed to make her even more upset. Apparently, she's not willing to even share the scent of that lilac (if it will ever have any).

So - our Monkey Monday discussion topic today is this: have you ever been led by your nose into trouble?

And among those of you who comment, there will be a draw for Lys Méditerranée decant.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At May 01, 2012 6:33 AM, Blogger Dionne said...

I don't think I've ever had something like that happen to me. I've got a gigantic lilac bush myself, and I'm very happy to give a cutting to anyone who asks; in my experience people appreciate it when you enjoy and smell their gardens while showing respect for their property. How unusual to have someone get mad at you for smelling.

 
At May 01, 2012 12:58 PM, Blogger monster said...

I think sticking my nose into a peony hiding a bee was trouble enough to count.

 
At May 06, 2012 9:31 AM, Blogger JulienFromDijon said...

Carpe diem.
When I hunt a fragrance in the air, I accept I may look goofy, like a dog.
Pick the day! I feel open-minded when I catch something invisible.

And the reaction of the lilacs lady is symbolic to me, such useless meanness, so narrow-minded. She's more the victim of her nonsense anger, I could enjoy the lilac perfume under verbal abuse and still be very happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home