Monday, March 12, 2012

Monkey Monday: Smell No Evil?

smell no Evil? by Polokampo
smell no Evil?, a photo by Polokampo on Flickr.

Although my federal-government lawyer friend is yet to forward me the Canadian federal government's policy on fragrance in the workplace -- I figured I'll dedicate today's post to workplace policies on wearing fragrances. A touchy subject, no doubt. So let's spill the beans on the current state of affairs in your own workplace. Are you allowed to wear fragrance? Are there any rules? Have you ever broken them (and have anyone actually noticed)?

I'm happy to share with you that I'm not allowed to wear any perfume whatsoever to work, in order to keep my nose unprejudiced, and my skin free and willing to absorb whatever I might need to test on myself on any given day... Haha. I know this is cheating. But you should know that being a perfumer is not all roses. Sometime it's also jasmines... Sorry! Couldn't help it!
But seriously - sometimes we can't just wear whatever we feel like in the morning. Which is not always easy, because I'm no skinny chef - I like to actually wear perfume for my own enjoyment...
;-)

Oh, and the giveaway for today: A 5ml decant of Sous la Vent (Guerlain) from my very own perfumista collection, snatched at their flagship boutique on Champs Elysees.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At March 13, 2012 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 13, 2012 7:36 AM, Blogger Dionne said...

One of the best things about being a SAHM and piano teacher is that I am my own boss, and can wear whatever I want. However, I plan on joining the workforce again in a few years, so I've been watching the growing anti-perfume movement with apprehension.

 
At March 13, 2012 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a Drag Queen means the sky is the limit. In fact my FOTD is often the talking point for the first few minutes of my shows.
I'd LOVE to try the Guerlain.
Portia x

 
At March 13, 2012 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...think I'm lucky working in a very liberal open + creative workplace environment, so everyone's free to express themselves. Having said this, common sense + a rather more pc restrained choice of scents during working hours is just easier to deal with...same principles as for choice of clothing/wardrobe really...smile...

Sous le vent is such an amazing scent!
Really evokes vacation + happy breezy summerdays...

 
At March 13, 2012 11:01 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Ooh la la!
You all have such fantastic jobs :-)
Portia - I'd like to see one of your shows!
Sous la Vent is so dry and refreshing. I was surprised by how masculine it actually smelled... Did you know it was dedicated to Josephine Baker?

 
At March 13, 2012 11:19 PM, Anonymous Lindsay said...

Well, my 'job' seems a little flat in comparison. I'm a grad student, so I'm either researching, writing, or running tutorials, and so I have a lot of freedom with fragrance. But I've discovered lately that one of the best ways to set a mood for the day is through selecting a perfume. Something clear and green helps me focus and write. Something spicy and mysterious helps me settle into my old books. Something confident really gets me in the mood for teaching. (Epice sauvage is my teaching perfume, in fact!) I don't know what I'd do if my library banned scents. Find another library, probably.

 
At March 14, 2012 9:21 PM, Blogger nekosan said...

My workplace doesn't have any fragrance restrictions, but I have called in HR to negotiate with unreasonable people. (E.g. - someone refusing to stop spraying strongly scented artificial strawberry air freshener in the hallways, even though it gave me migraines. I eventually gave up and just worked from home for a while, much to the consternation of my coworkers and boss.)

Personally, i don't want to smell someone's perfume unless i'm in their personal space (hugging them, etc.) I'd prefer not to smell someone from more than 5 feet away, and if i can smell someone from over 20 feet away, that's just bad. I know many people don't agree, but there it is. #shrug#

 
At March 14, 2012 9:25 PM, Blogger nekosan said...

P.S. - Argh, take that just as a comment, not as a contest entry. I'm really shy about how I may react to "standard" (synthetic) perfumes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home