Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Mardi Gras


Mardi Gras beads, originally uploaded by suckaface.

Happy Fat Tuesday!
I'm envious all who can celebrate anything today, particularly Mardi Gras!

It's a beautiful day today, but I'm bed-bound with a head cold/flu, and the only thing productive I can do is go through boxes of tissue... But I can always use my escapist imagination, and fathom myself out of the local carnival (aka Winter Olympics) and in New Orleans instead, enjoying the chaos and music and colors, and being able to smell things despite my cold...

For Mardi Gras, I decided to pick three perfumes for the three Mardi Gras colors of Purple, Green and Gold. These colours were selected in 1872 by Grand Duke Alexis Romanoff of Russia, who visited the city at the time and was the first crowned Rex of the parade. He later on also chose these colours for his family crest. No one knows for sure what the colours mean or symbolizes, but there are a few traditions going around about that. Either way, this vibrant color combination affects greatly the atmosphere of the Mardi Gras parade and give it some of its unique inimitable flavour.

For Purple, which is said to symbolize Justice, I suggest wearing a violet perfume that gives an air of royalty and extravagance. Violet Angel (or Guerlain's Insolence, I personally cannot wear that one at all...) will certainly stand out in the crowds with their violet-laced sillage!

For Green, which represents Faith, wear fresh crushed leafy green perfumes, for example Vent Vert. It will instantly bring hope for all the spring foliage to return.

And finally, for Gold, which symbolizes Power, my pick would be Lys Méditerranée. I can't explain why, but it reminds me of gold colours... Or if you want to be more literal (like I was with my previous two selections), how about Or et Noir, or Donna Karen Gold, Guess Gold or Estee Lauder's Dazzling Gold?

If you celebrated, please comment and tell us what you did today and which perfume you've worn!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home