Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Apple Harvest

Voila: an apple orchard that kisses the horizon of the Okanagan lake. Apples are such a basic fruit because of its long shelf life and its power to keep doctors away, we sometimes take them for granted. But I tell you: there's nothing like a fresh ripe apple that was just picked that morning, which is precisely what I had for breakfast today. Fragrant. Crisp. Delicious.

And being not so perfect for wine they are so much more nutritious and also in some danger of becoming extinct. Does that mean that Canadians will l have to import stale fruit from California in 10-20 years? I hope not...

But agriculture, health and political issues aside, don't you think this fruit is simply glorious? It is not surprising to me anymore that it was for so long considered the fruit with which the snake seduced Eve. Coming from a warm county, orchard fruit such as apples, pears, peaches and cherries seem unusually exotic to me.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At October 08, 2009 9:07 AM, Anonymous Shayne said...

yes agreed, apples in the fall are one of my favorite things - we used to make a trip out to Creston to buy boxes of apples of which my mom would then can... I hope to do the same with my children

 
At October 08, 2009 10:30 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Shayne,
So good to see you on SmellyBlog!
And thank you for sharing your apple-y memories. I wish you many falls of apple picking and pickling with your children :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home