Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Scent of Outer Space

Apparently, outer space has a scent...!

Chemist Steven Pearce, who was commissioned to the task of re-creating the scent of outer space tells Manchester Evening News:

"We have a few clues as to what space smells like. First of all, there were interviews with astronauts that we were given, when they had been outside and then returned to the space station and were de-suiting and taking off their helmets - they all reported quite particular odours. For them, what comes across is a smell of fried steak, hot metal and even welding a motorbike, one of them said."

“We have already produced the smell of fried steak, but hot metal is proving more difficult (...) We think it’s a high-energy vibration in the molecule.” (Chemist Steven Pearce interview to The Times).

Thanks to Siobhan for the tip!


Sun in Motion , originally uploaded by Ayala Moriel.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At October 21, 2008 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ayala,

Love to read your blog when I can; always fun to read how other perfumers go about their blending, and your reviews on various perfumes have been great. I just tagged you; I hope that's ok! :)

Laurie at Perfume In Progress

 
At October 21, 2008 8:42 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Laurie,

Thank you so much for visiting my humble blog - and tagging it!
How sweet of you :)
Your view from your Healdsburg studio must be beautiful...No, stunning! I have to say, it makes me homesick to look at it, because it does look a lot like my home village!

Hope to see you soon - both virtually and in person.
In the meantime - I wish you much success with your perfumes and will follow the progress on your blog!

P.s. I never figured out how tagging really works, but your action encourages me to get on to it.

 
At October 22, 2008 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure what to do when tagged either but I followed what I saw on the one who tagged me. I think it started as a way to create a sense of community among perfume bloggers and to introduce some new blogs to people. Your blog is probably known to most perfume fans already, but I thought the few who haven't seen it would appreciate learning about it because it's beautifully done and very informative. Love your photos too.

Thanks for the good wishes and same to you! I tried a sample of Ayalitta not long ago and liked it very much. I know how challenging it is to work in all naturals and really admire when it's done so well.

Yes, I'm lucky to live in a very pretty spot!

Laurie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home