Monday, March 03, 2008

Ginger & Amber


Ginger Root, originally uploaded by cfwhitney.

Craving of recent weeks: ginger and amber perfume. Maybe it was the cold that stroke me, I was craving a ginger perfume, with the gorgeous authenticity that I've found only in one essence: organic ginger CO2... Instead, I was reaching out for Burnt Amber, and imagining the ginger part. This must have helped to chase away that cold...

Today at the lab I was playing around with the idea, and as I feared, this is not going to be an easy task. I always find it challenging to blend orienal ambery notes (mainly labdanum) with both citrus and spices without creating a mess. And by mess I mean a muddy, cluttered sensation, no definite statement and of course the downside of materials gone to waste... Very easy to get there, and this is what happened as soon as I got tempted to add some fresh ginger essential oil to the mix.

The next day will require a careful mixing of one of my amber bases along with ginger CO2 only. More to come...

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At March 05, 2008 3:55 AM, Blogger chayaruchama said...

What a brilliant idea !
That would be delicious...

I can foresee how it might be challenging.
Sometimes ginger can seem to 'dry' or 'pull' sweetness out of a fragrance.
That's not bad, per se.

The heat of ginger is enthralling, for me.
SO looking forward to hearing about this one...

Kisses to you and Tamya-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home