Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Orange Blossom Cologne

I ignored this cologne from Jo Malone for the longest time, even though I never thought it unpleasant. In fact, I ignored most of the line, because for the most part I find the scents too "traditional" and the prices too high for something so conventional. Another reason I ignored it was due to a sample mix-up: even though they were manufacturer’s samples, my Orange Blossom and my Lime, Basil & Mandarin samples got confused, and so I thought that Orange Blossom was a conventional citrus & herb cologne and dismissed it with no second thoughts. Than when I got that mini-package - an extra mini bottle of Lime Basil Mandarin was slipped in as an extra, so I decided to give it a try. I quickly realized there was a mistake in the samples, and after further investigation learned that my charmging “Lime Basil and Mandarin” was actually Orange Blossom…

I was just stunned by how gorgeous Orange Blossom was! This is no ordinary citrus, nor what you would expect from an orange blossom scent, and it is quite unique. The note that stands out for me is the mandarin. When I put it on I was immediately transported to our family orchard I took care of my entire childhood, where I played and watered and weeded the trees. It was one of my favourite places and any scent that brings me back there is welcome to my collection. The heart is definitely orange blossom, which is one of my most favourite notes, and it helps that citrus top notes to linger just a tad longer than most other citrus colognes would.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At June 27, 2009 9:02 PM, Anonymous Sarah said...

Orange Blossom is also my new found favourite, but the scent does not last long, probably only for 3-4 hours.
Anything we can do? I cannot carry the 100ml bottle in my handbag

 
At June 27, 2009 10:29 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Sarah,
Thank you for your comment! Alternatively, you can decant some of the cologne into a little sprayer vial to carry in your handbag, or wait till Christmas, they usually have sets of smaller sizes.
And than of course there is the option of layering (i.e.: using the matching body products to increase the scent's presence on the skin - body lotion, shower gel, etc.).

Alternatively, you may want to apply some jojoba oil to your wrists beforehand - it could improve the scent's persistence on the skin.

 
At June 29, 2009 7:31 AM, Anonymous Sarah said...

Thanks Ayala. I only found your blog was written in 2006 after posting, so I thought little chance it would be read!

Anyway, I tried to decant but it seems the bottle is not meant to be tampered with - cannot unscrew.

Will try your next suggestion. Thanks.

 
At August 04, 2009 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and also the scent fades after you open the bottle.Although it might not be the common cases that people usually keep their perfume for such long time (several months), mines actually hardly smell anything on the moment I spray it out now.

I likes its scent very much, but very disappointed by its fading issue.

 
At August 04, 2009 7:44 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Sarah,
Decanting from spray bottles is a little tricky but definitely possible!
If you can't find the little tube that can temporarily replace the "push-button" on your spray top (these tubes often accompany little purse-size sprayers that you can find in beauty boutiques and drugstores), than you can just spray into your smaller container/bottle. In this case, I just put a lot of tissue paper around the neck so whatever I miss doesn't make my fingers and hands soaked in perfume.
Good luck!

 
At August 04, 2009 7:45 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Anon,
I did not have this kind of experience with the "scent fading away" with any fragrance really, except perhaps with some oil based perfumes. But that requires many years of the scent to be lying around and the essences "escaping" from it gradually. Very unusual in alcohol (unless the alcohol evaporated - and even than, the bottle at least will remain quite strongly scented).

 
At September 15, 2009 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon- Maybe you've gotten too used to the smell so it seems like the smell has faded? Try not using the cologne for a month or so and see if that helps.

 
At August 17, 2010 7:48 PM, Anonymous pheromones attract women said...

Wow! one of my friend used this orange blossom cologne she said that it has a nice scent and I am really wanted to try this.

cletsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home