Saturday, June 03, 2006

Lists


One of the most fascinating things about perfume is that they are power tool for self-definition. One can project themselves through perfume, communicate their mood through fragrance, or become what they dream to become through an olfactory fantasy.

Another thrilling thing about perfumes is that there are so many of them, which naturally calls for categorization, lists, and anything else to do with data-obsession. In fact, most of my work as a perfumer seems to be being able to categorize scents and find common elements in them that will connect them together harmoniously to create a beautiful perfume.

So, I have decided to dedicate this posts to lists, all related to perfumes. Sometimes I surprise myself with liking a scent I thought I couldn’t bear. There are constant changes, but there are also things that stay the same, no matter what, which are what I consider to be reflective of the core of who I am. Maybe this list will help me understand myself better. Or, perhaps, it will be a way for you, my dear readers, to gain some insight into my tortured soul…

My Current (new) Loves:
Le Parfum de Therese
Agent Provocateur
Narciso Ridriguez – in both parfum and EDT

I am eternally devoted to these CLASSICS*:
Vol de Nuit
Mitsouko
Parfum Sacre
Shalimar
* That means that you will never hear me saying anything bad about them, and never will find them not in my collection, even if I may not wear them often).

My Signature Scents:
Espionage
Ayalitta
And - a secret new perfume coming out this fall, about which I will tell you another time.I think of my own perfumes as representatives of different aspects of me. represent my personality the best, since I have conceived them and am responsible for their existence from start to finish. But these are the three that I consider to reflect best who I am and I can always wear and enjoy them, no matter in which mood I am in.

From my own collection, Ayala Moriel Parfums, these are the ones I wear the most and that work best on my skin*:
Charisma
Fetish
Fete d’Hiver
Guilt
Schizm
Tamya
Viola
White Potion
Zohar
*I must refrain from favouritism as these are all my own children; I love all my perfumes equally as they all tell a part of my ever-evolving olfactory story. Each is a chapter without which the story cannot be complete…

Being quite a sentimental person, I can easily go the seasonal route, so let’s do it:

My Spring Favourites:
Spring Flower
Diorissimo
Chant d’Aromes
Charisma

My Summer Favourites:
Opium Fleur de Shanghai
Philosykos
Le Parfum de Therese
Citron Citron
Fetish

Tamya
Lovender

My Fall Favourites:
Mitsouko
Ayalitta
Femme
Yohji
Noix de Tubereuse

My Winter Favourites:
Parfum Sacre
Fleurs d’Oranger
Ta’if
Youth Dew
Guilt
Fete d’Hiver

My Dark Persona is represented by:
Feuilles de Tabac
Espionage
Youth Dew
Agent Provocateur

My Favourite Perfumes on a Man:
L’Herbe Rouge
Feuilles de Tabac
ArbitRary
Eau Sauvage
Dior Homme

My Favourite Bedtime Fragrances:
No. 5
Tocade
L’Eau d’Issey
Aqaba

I used to be:
Diorissimo
Samsara

I would like to be*:
Joy
Narcisse Noir
L’Heure Bleue
Diorissimo
*But alas, I am not. These are perfumes I admire but don’t get along enough with to wear very often if at all. As such, they have become a sort of an “Idea Fix”. To be precise, I would love to be able to just wear one perfume and that’s it. But this is not possible unless I decide to cease being a perfumer. No way. I guess perfumery is the only stable olfactory definition I can give myself.

And while further obsessing with self-definition, I figured it’s time to change the dramatic photo on my blog to something more cheerful and less serious, in the spirit of Spring, and because you all know how fabulous one can look as a movie star. Don’t kid yourself, I don’t usually wear my hair in this late 40’s style (although I would love to!), unless I play a role in strange Indy films from that era... I thought it was about time to set the record straight ;)

And in the above photo I am sniffing roses in Jerusalem’s most wonderful gardens in “Yemin Moshe” neighbourhood. My dear friend Zohar Porat took the photo.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At June 04, 2006 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ayala, not only do you have great taste in perfume - you are gorgeous! You look so radiant, it must be working with fragrances that makes you that way. Maybe I had better start making perfume myself... :-)

 
At June 04, 2006 10:35 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Thank you, thank you Flora!
*blush*
I am sure the wonderful scents you are wearing and enjoying bring out your beauty as well. Nothing looks better than happiness - so if making perfumes yourself is what you heart desires, you should follow it.

 
At June 05, 2006 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll bet there's a photo somewhere of you like a monkey swinging from a pole -- from retro glam to gym monkey, you're a diverse woman ;-)

Thanks for the list, Ayala, it's always great to look inside the workings of another nose. Hmm. That didn't come out right ! I'm terrible at lists, and worse at journaling, which is called blogging nowadays. Congrats on both!

Hey, I voted for your Rhododendron in the Scenteur contest. If ONLY I could find the rhodie flower oil I had 30 years ago. It was from India, from the R. Fragrantissimus variety, and it was glorious.

 
At June 06, 2006 12:08 AM, Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

Dear Ayala,
There is so much here in your lists to think about. I love it. I want to return again and again. Your new photo is most adorable, by the way.

 
At June 07, 2006 8:07 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Anya, I haven't taken the gym monkey pic yet but now that you reminded me I am feeling tempted...

Thanks for voting for my Rhododendron dream perfume on Scenteur7. It would be nice to win. It will be even nicer if The Different Company actually comes up with a rhododendron scent based on my recommendations (and gives me royalties LOL).

I would love to find a rhododendron flower oil. Hopefully, somewhere in the world a distiller or supplier reads our wishes and answers them...

 
At June 07, 2006 8:10 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Cait, I am flattered that my list intrigued you so, and that you like my new photo. I should pobably change the look every season just to get more compliments from my readers and boost up my mood ;)

 
At June 07, 2006 8:11 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Cait, I am flattered that my list intrigued you so, and that you like my new photo. I should pobably change the look every season just to get more compliments from my readers - what a mood boosters ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home