Thursday, June 01, 2006

Kamakiriad


condensation, originally uploaded by Zip Eye.

“Here at Laughing Pines
Where the party never ends
There’s a spicy new attraction
On the Funway
You can scan yourself
For traces of old heartaches

The details of desire
Shimmering – shimmering”

(Donald Fagen, “Springtime” from his solo album “Kamakiriad”)

Besides the Japanese origin of both Issey Miyake's l’Eau d’Issey and the inspiration of “Kamakiriad” (a legendary futuristic Japanese car) there should seemingly be no connection at all between the two. But if l’Eau d’Issey could have a sound, it will definitely have the sparkling, chilly & magnetizing synthesized studio sound of Donald Fagen and Steely Dan. Particularly the sound that can be heard when playing the few lines that are quoted above.

Everything about this perfume suggests purity – from the bottle design – a simple cone with a transparent sphere suggesting a drop of water caught at a perfect moment in the air, the icy frosted glass and aluminum – to the colourless juice. But most importantly, it is the only water that can be enjoyed when drunk through the nostrils.

Designed to smell like water, l’Eau d’Issey provides artificial tranquility in a most magical way. One drop from this cone vessel encompasses within it all the vital promises of pure water – thirst clenching, cleanliness and rejuvenation. It only takes a tiny drop from the pure parfum to make one feel like swimming in a bubble of fresh water, or the unmatched pleasure of licking off condensation droplets from an icy glass of water.

L’Eau d’Issey strats off green, with notes dewy of fresh cut grass, quickly replaced by the subtle honeyed sweetness of blooming flowers – linden blossom and magnolia, with the freshness of neroli – but mainly lead by a transparent and slightly green rose note. These florals are complemented by a computer-generated note of cool fresh air, which gives the over all impression of a water lilies.

A few minutes through the scent (whether if you showered in the last 12 hours or not) – you ought to feel clean and refreshed! The droplet of perfume expands into a whole water experience which will float around you for the whole day, carrying the fresh breeze of outdoors in a brisk winter day, as well as the freshness of melted ice water.

Though light and fresh in character, l’Eau d’Issey possesses a highly impressive lasting power, and once the water finally evaporates (which will take about 6-8 hours), you will be left with a transparent, white-musk and woody accord, achieved by using double distilled and refined essences of cedar and sandalwood.

l’Eau d’Issey makes me feel like I had just swam in a chlorine-drenched pool, and the scent has not yet decided to leave the skin completely. I love to wear it in order to achieve a detached peace of mind, or as a releaf for mental thirst for water-derived tranquility. It can be also used as a substitute for shower if necessary.

Special thanks to Siobhan Flanagan, who reminded me of this exceptional scent.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At June 01, 2006 9:51 AM, Blogger Victoria said...

What a lovely review, I must try this one again. I do own last year's summer edition which I enjoy very much.
:O)
Victoria

 
At June 01, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Victoria, glad you enjoyed l'Eau d'Issey review. If you want, I can send you a sample of the pure parfum - I think it has the potential of a life-time conversion ;)

 
At June 02, 2006 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and I have often spoken at how different our body chemistries are, and this review highlights it. l'Eau d'Issey is perfectly horrid on me. I enjoyed the top note for about 20 seconds and then it settled into the most sour, scary chemical on my wrist. Scrubbing wouldn't remove it! It was a gift,and thankfully, Sephora accepted my return with my word it had only been sprayed once. I think I was so traumatized I got sunblock and hair care products in exchange, lol.

 
At June 02, 2006 8:16 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Anya, you are right about body chemistry differences. But don't frget that different conccentrations of the same scent so to speak may smell significantly different. This review is of the pure parfum. I am guessing - but you probably tried the EDT or the EDP. These smell quite terrible on me as well after the top notes dissipate. Perhaps I shall post my review of the othe rconcentrations one day... I find with most of the modern watery/ozonic florals (except for l'Eau d'Issey in pure parfum), as well as the fruity florals (except for Creed's Spring Flower) - the opening can be deceiving, and most often leads me to a very unappealing drydown that is chemically powdery (as opposed to the lovely powderiness that orris and violet usually provide).

I can't imagine leaving Sephora with sunblock and hair products in exchange for perfumes - you must have been in a state of shock ;)

 
At June 03, 2006 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>I can't imagine leaving Sephora with sunblock and hair products in exchange for perfumes - you must have been in a state of shock ;)

Nah, I can always find a scent elsewhere, or at home to please me, but protecting my skin in the tropics and my wild ethnic hair comes first -- before scent! No matter how good I smell, if people see wrinkled, battered skin and friend hair, there's no coming closer, lol.

PS I think I might have been swayed by J'Adore if it was a little cheaper.

 
At June 03, 2006 6:04 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Anya, I have a mini of J'Adore which I would love to pass over to you. It's a cute bottle, but it turns into nasty chemical powder on my skin. Another example for skin chemistry differences...

I love taking care of my hair and skin, but I have a tendency to exchange things for a similar thing... There is always SOMETHING on my perfume wishlist... Oy vay...

 
At December 04, 2008 7:05 PM, Blogger Ariella440 said...

This is my favorite perfume; it smells so good, and everywhere I go people notice and comment on how much they like it. Thanks for the great review!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home