Thursday, March 09, 2006

Chocolate Dilemma

Some perfumes start with an abstract concept. Other perfumes are inspired by a building block - a note of distinct character the inspires the perfumer to explore possibilities and express the magnificent beauty of simplicity. So what happens when an unusually stunning building block is discovered in the middle of developing an abstract perfume?

I just received a new cocoa absolute which smells truly of chocolate. Sweetness and all. It’s all I have been looking forward to for reworking my chocolate perfume, Guilt, and perfecting it. Guilt is a leathery chocolate concoction, juxtaposing smoky notes, rich florals and deep brown chocolate and amber with a hint of spice. Rose, orange blossom, frangipani and mimosa create an interesting ethereal contrast to the hedonistic chocolate… Guilt has always been a dark, leathery scent, the concept being using the most guilt-inducing substances such as cigarette smoke and chocolate addiction as the theme for an unusual gourmand.
Now with the new sweet chocolate I am feeling tempted to re-work it into an altogether different concept - a milk chocolate, almost caramel-like, with sweet chocolate and vanilla, maybe also some tonka bean and amber. No flowers. No leather. No spices. Just chocolate.
Of course there is the possibility of starting a new scent, but I have promised myself to not over-expand my collection (one chocolate perfume should be enough).

Which of the two would make you feel most shamelessly guilty?


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 09, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger katiedid said...

I don't know about others, but milk chocolate always seems so wimpy to me. Gimme that bitter dark stuff, the blacker the better is my usual attitude. And so it carries over to my sense of smell. I appreciate the smell of powdered baking cocoa in some scents too, but milky chocolate is one of those that makes me feel more child-like than decadent or guilty. I'm certain this all depends on one's personality however.

 
At March 15, 2006 5:17 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

It is onlyl recently that I understand the magic of black chocolate. As a little girl, white chocolate was my favourite, and I never understood why would anybody want to eat that bitter stuff... But now I like a rich, dark bitter chocolate. I love to use the 99% or 85% Lindt dark chocolate in fancy baking...

 
At March 15, 2006 5:47 PM, Blogger katiedid said...

Mmmmm, I love the Lindt dark chocolate... surprisingly high quality for not too much $$$ I think.

Shoot, now I want to go bake something :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home