Saturday, February 10, 2007

Artisan Chocolate Truffles & A Chocolate Contest

What can be better than chocolate? A hand-made chocolate!
The following are two original, artisanal chocolatiers, one is a Vancouver based chocolatier, who makes some of the best chocolate truffles, as well as other sweets; the other is a perfumer who dares to pour some of her fragrant ideas into a base of chocolate, with some stunning results!


Bad Girl with a Good Taste
Some of the best chocolate I’ve ever had come from a little company called Bad Girl Chocolates. These artisanal chocolate truffles are all handcrafted by one lady, Kelly Boyd, and are just amazing. My favourites are the Gianduja Pyramids, and I love both the dark and the milk chocolates ones. The dark one has a hint of coffee flavour and the hazelnuts are a tad crunchier, while the milk one is smooth and creamy… The pomegranate truffles are to die for with their contrast of dark chocolate against a smooth filling of tart pomegranate. There are a few new falvours which I haven’t tried thouhg, such as the Hot Chocolate Truffle (heart shaped and with edible gold leaf) and the Fleur de Sel Caramel Truffle, with the infamous French salt for as an added nuance. These are very reasonably priced for their quality and artistry, and are worth every penny. They can be shipped to anywhere in Canada, or be picked up if you live in Vancouver.

Desire in Sunlight's Perfumed Chocolates
Isabelle Aurel is a student of Mandy Aftel, and her line features many interesting solid and liquid perfume. But perhaps the most romantic of all are her edible perfumed chocolates: Chocolate ganache infused with precious essential oils – jasmine absolute, blue lotus, tuberose and many more. These could make the most romantic and sensual desert dinner – by pairing the gently melted ganache with an array of exotic fruits and nuts. Isabelle recommends dipping figs in the jasmine chocolate - the ultimate aphrodisiac treat!

Isabelle also makes chocolate truffles, which come in three flavours:
Sweetheart Tuberose
Spirit Blue Lotus
Seductive Jasmine

Share your favourite artisanal chocolatiers from your own town, and be one of the two lucky winners to receive a 2ml miniature of one of my liquid chocolate parfums - Guilt or Film Noir.

Next: My very own recipe for red-hot-chocolate, plus a very sexy surprise!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At February 12, 2007 3:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

aknuezMy favorite local chocolatier in Seattle is Dilettante. I am lucky enough to live within walking distance of two of their shops - one serves to-die-for desserts and the other sells discounted seconds (a bonus for those of us who don't care what our chocolate looks like, as long as it tastes good). I'm a big fan of their dark chocolate truffles. I think they still qualify as artesanal, but they are a big enough operation that Whole Foods carries them in other parts of the US.

 
At February 13, 2007 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At February 13, 2007 3:12 PM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 15, 2007 2:21 AM, Blogger helg said...

Oh oh oh!!! I want!!! I want!!
I love Flim Noir! Oh Ayala, if your perfumes weren't expensive* for my current budget (*which I completely understand; they are rightfully so, because of the extreme cost of raw materials) I would buy lots!

My favourite chocolatier here is pralines Leonidas. They are "belgian pralines" but really the firm is originally greek, hence the name :-)



They are so soft, melting in the mouth slowly...rendering hips rounder and rounder, I am afraid with every bite. But they're so rich and sinful. It's worth it!
And the worst thing is they come in an assortment of shapes and flavours and if you fill a box with various you're bound to taste one of every kind....I am lucky and unlucky enough to have a shop in my neighbourhood! (if you want me to send you some, just send me an address dear)



 
At February 15, 2007 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you've never heard of DeBrand's Fine Chocolates - here in Fort Wayne, Indiana - you are in for a treat! I've never known anyone that doesn't love them.

Their gourmet chocolates are so fresh and yummy. Prices are a bit on the steep side, but worth every penny.

Best of all, they have a website, online shopping, and a monthly giveaway.

 
At February 15, 2007 9:36 PM, Blogger helg said...

For some reason the links I tried to post do not register. Oh well...
A Google search is revealing.

 
At February 16, 2007 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The favorite of my son and I is the Bat Bar
by a small company called Endangered Species. I believe it is about
82% cacao, with little nibs of toasted cocoa beans. smooth and
crunchy, and deep velvet chocolate. My husband likes the Panda bar
which is deep dark velvet and white chocolate inside. (my 11 year old
and I are the deep dark chocolate fans) and part of the sales go to
saving endangered species worldwide. Guilt free chocolate!
Please enter me in the contests! I would love to one day win!

 
At February 19, 2007 8:29 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Dana, Moonmaiden, Helg and Lizzy, Thank you so much for the lovely recommendations! I now have even more reasons to travel to more places around the world!

Now Helg, this is terribly sweet of you to offer to send me some of Leonidas chocolates! You must know that you are in real trouble now, because as you probably know, it is considered impolite in my culture to say no to a gift offered!
(Is it also in your culture? I sure hope so, and hope I am not considered rude! I noticed this is the case in most cultures surrounding the Mediterranean...). I can't refuse a gift, particularly not a chocolate one, even if it might be considered bribe ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home